Section 1: The Basics
A. About Us
AboutThem is an online marketing platform (the “Services“) operated by Mentor Engine LLC, a company headquartered in the State of North Carolina in the United States (“we,” “us,” “our,” “AboutThem,” and “Mentor Engine“).
The Services enable our Members to introduce, promote, and market exemplary individuals whose work affects the world positively.
B. Key Terms
“Member” means any person or entity that is registered with us to use the Services.
“Personal Information” means any information that identifies or can be used to identify a Member or a Visitor, directly or indirectly. Examples of Personal Information include, but are not limited to, first and last name, date of birth, email address, gender, occupation, or other demographic information.
“Visitor” means any person who visits any of our Websites.
“You” and “your” means, depending on the context, either a Member or a Visitor.
Section 2: Privacy
This section applies to the Personal Information we collect and process from a Member or Visitor through the provision of the Services.
A. Information We Collect
The Personal Information that we may collect broadly falls into the following categories:
(i) Information you provide to us: In the course of engaging with our Services, you may provide Personal Information about yourself. Personal Information is often, but not exclusively, provided to us when you sign up for and use the Services, consult with our customer service team, send us an email, or communicate with us in any other way.
(iii) Information we collect from other sources: From time to time, we may obtain information about you or your Contacts from third-party sources, such as public databases, social media platforms, third-party data providers, and our joint marketing partners. We take steps to ensure that such third parties are legally or contractually permitted to disclose such information to us.
B. Use of Personal Information
We may use the Personal Information we collect through the Services or other sources for a range of reasons, including:
- To bill and collect money you owe us.
- To communicate with you about your account and provide customer support.
- To meet legal requirements, including complying with court orders, valid discovery requests, valid subpoenas, and other appropriate legal mechanisms.
- To provide information to representatives and advisors, including attorneys and accountants, to help us comply with legal, accounting, or security requirements.
- To prosecute and defend a court, arbitration, or similar legal proceeding.
- To respond to lawful requests by public authorities, including to meet national security or law enforcement requirements.
- To provide, support and improve the Services. For example, this may include sharing your or your Contacts’ information with third parties in order to provide and support our Services or to make certain features of the Services available to you.
- To provide suggestions to you.
- For our data analytics projects. Our data analytics projects may use data from AboutThem profiles, including Personal Information, to provide and improve the Services.
- Other purposes. To carry out other legitimate business purposes, as well as other lawful purposes about which we will notify you.
C. Cookies and Tracking Technologies
We and our partners may use various technologies to collect and store information when you use our Services, and this may include using cookies and similar tracking technologies, such as pixels and web beacons. For example, we use web beacons in the emails we send on your behalf. These web beacons track certain behavior such as whether the email sent through the Services was delivered and opened and whether links within the email were clicked. They also allow us to collect information such as the recipient’s IP address, browser, email client type and other similar details. We use this information to measure the performance of your email campaigns, and to provide analytics information and enhance the effectiveness of our Services. Reports are also available to us when we send email to you, so we may collect and review that information.
D. Other Data Protection Rights
You may have the following data protection rights:
- To access, correct, update or request deletion of Personal Information. AboutThem takes reasonable steps to ensure that the data we collect is reliable for its intended use, accurate, complete, and up to date. As a Member, you can manage your individual account and profile settings within the AboutThem platform, or you may contact us directly by emailing us at (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- In addition, individuals who are residents of the EEA can object to processing of their Personal Information, ask to restrict processing of their Personal Information or request portability of their Personal Information. You can exercise these rights by contacting us.
- Similarly, if Personal Information is collected or processed on the basis of consent, the data subject can withdraw their consent at any time. Withdrawing your consent will not affect the lawfulness of any processing we conducted prior to your withdrawal, nor will it affect processing of your Personal Information conducted in reliance on lawful processing grounds other than consent.
- The right to complain to a data protection authority about the collection and use of Personal Information. For more information, please contact your local data protection authority. Contact details for data protection authorities in the EEA are available here.
We respond to all requests we receive from individuals wishing to exercise their data protection rights in accordance with applicable data protection law. We may ask you to verify your identity in order to help us respond efficiently to your request.
Updated July 9, 2018